- Renew Your Tag Online
- Frequently Asked Questions
- General Tag Information
- Tag Renewal Schedule
- Required Transfer Documentation
- Mandatory Liability Insurance
- Abandoned Vehicle
- Surety Bond
- Public Title Portal
- - Apply for Replacement Title
- - Check Application Status
- - Check Undeliverable Titles
- - Applications Coming Soon (Add lien, Salvage, Rebuilt Owner Retention)
Motor Vehicle Forms
Before beginning operations in Geneva County, a business, profession, or occupation should apply for a business privilege license with the Geneva County Probate Office, 200 N Commerce St., Geneva, AL. This includes operations located within the municipal limits of Black, Coffee Springs, Geneva, Malvern, Samson, and Slocomb.
The state and county business privilege licenses must be renewed during the month of October each year. The license expires September 30, and should be renewed prior to November 1 each year to avoid penalties and interest. License fees vary depending upon the type of license that is required; in some cases, deciding factors may be:
– the population of the area where the business is located, or
– the number of employees a business may have, or
– the gross amount of contracts (contractors), or
– the capital investment of a business (manufacturer)
The Code of Alabama 1975, Title 40, Chapter 12 provides the authority for Alabama’s county business licenses, which total in number approximately 140.
Sample business license sections include, but are not limited to, the following:
– Retail Stores and Chain Stores
– Automobile Dealers (Section 40-12-51)
– Auto Repair Shops (Section 40-12-54)
– Contractors (Section 40-12-84)
– Manufacturers (Section 40-12-87)
– Restaurant, Cafes (Section 40-12-151)
– Transient Dealers (Section 40-12-172)
– Transient Vendors (Section 40-12-174)
– Vending Machine Operators (Section 40-12-176)
For a sample listing of required licenses and fees contact the Alabama Department of Revenue, Business License Division at 334-353-7827.
A Quick Reference Guide is provided to determine the license sections that may apply to your business or occupation.
An educational brochure for Alabama taxpayers,’Starting A New Business’ is also provided by the Alabama Department of Revenue.
Please note that a municipality within Geneva County may have additional provisions for license fees and requirements for certain businesses and occupations. You may need to contact the respective City Clerk’s office for the city or town where operations may be conducted.
Town of Black (334) 684-1340
Town of Coffee Springs (334) 684-8181
Town of Geneva (334) 684-2485
Town of Malvern (334) 793-6537
Town of Samson (334) 898-7541
Town of Slocomb (334) 886-2334
For information related to the collection and remittance of sales tax the following agencies should be contacted:
State and Geneva County sales tax: